and then i discovered chicken bake…
I know this might sound like a simple concept, but for some reason I was never told how easy it was to prepare such a nutritious AND delicious dish. Not to mention idiot proof. About two weeks ago, my dear friend and I cooked dinner that consisted of a mess of veggies and chicken. He asks “why don’t we just make chicken bake?”. I wondered what the hell was that? Well kids, it is exactly what it sounds like. I have been preparing it a variety of ways ever since he told me and I can not wait to share it with all of you. If you are like me, I need dinner to be quick and easy throughout the week because my days run long. This can save you time, money and energy… don’t be afraid to get creative!
1 package of chicken cutlets
olive oil or coconut oil
choice of veggies- pick about 3-4
choice of seasoning – i like salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary
1. heat oven to 300 degrees
2. prepare a glass dish with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil, or just enough to coat the bottom
3. place chicken evenly on dish- season with salt and pepper
4. cut up veggies,not too thin as they will cooking for a while. In this dish, I used carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, and mushrooms. I experimented with broccoli, asparagus, and peppers.. all delicious! I want to try spinach next!
5. layer veggies evenly on top of chicken and season lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic. I like to drizzle some balsamic on top because, well, who doesn’t love balsamic? I then finish with a light drizzle of olive oil so the ingredients don’t dry out in the oven.
6. cover with tin foil and pop in the oven for an hour, voila! your done. Go clean the house, shower, and sit down while you wait for your delicious meal to cook.
How easy was that?! It’s common sense if you cook often, but I just always made my chicken on the stove top and cooked the veggies separately… soo much work compared to this and less clean up!
Let me know what you think and what creative combinations you make!